Weekly Wrap: Dissatisfaction

Posted: January 24, 2016 in My Story, Training
Tags: , , , , , ,

Weekly Wrap Dissatisfaction

Participating in the Weekly Wrap with Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia at MissSippiPiddlin, I generally like to keep things positive and upbeat (because they both are!). This week, though, has trended a bit downward – resulting in today’s theme of dissatisfaction. This is NOT one of my Themes for 2016 – quite the contrary, in fact – but in the interests of transparency (which is one of my themes), bear with me as I walk through my week. NOTE: I realize my complaints are very much first world, and that things could certainly be worse.  Heck – the boat in my title photo could be mine!

Monday

I woke up feeling worse than I had on the weekend. No doubt the sopping wet Steveston 8k the day before didn’t help. My exercise for the day consisted of walking 20 minutes to the office, picking up my computer, and plodding home again. Went through nearly an entire box of tissue, alternating between work and naps. Of course, I didn’t end up attending Coach Carey’s speed clinic, either.

Tuesday

Back at work, still feeling a bit under the weather, I managed to make it through a hectic day.

Have I mentioned I’m in a choir? We’re a local community choir called Simple Gifts – and I’ve been singing with them for a few years. Each season, we perform at two seniors’ homes – and tonight was our first sing-out. There were far more of us in the choir than in the audience, since 30-40 of the residents were sick! Struggled through, and was pretty worn out afterward.

Wednesday

One and only visit to the gym this week. Jill and I did a bit of cardio, and a quick set of body weight exercises. Our philosophy of “something is better than nothing” came into play. Would eventually like to move beyond that and give more, but it wasn’t happening today.

Reported to the chiropractor after work, who said things had improved – a single ray of hope!

Thursday

Knowing that it might be my only run of the week, I forced myself out of bed (just) in time to join the #RunVan crew for 8k along the Seawall. Flashbacks of Steveston, since it was pouring throughout – thankfully without the wind!

Weekly Wrap #RunVan Weekly Wrap Selfie

Felt invigorated for most of the day, including the four hours of (work-related, not athletic) training that occupied me for the morning. Finally had a restful evening.

Friday

Having promised a colleague weeks ago to attend a networking event, I was suited up and on site by 7:15am – followed by 2 hours of (productive but exhausting) standing and chatting and smiling and representing my employer to the best of my ability. The rest of the day was solidly busy.

Sadly, I had to decline my friend’s invite to Pilates, since our final dress rehearsal for choir started at 7pm – and another 2 hours of standing and singing. Utterly wrecked by the time we got home.

Saturday

Despite texts from two of my dearest running buddies the night before, I didn’t have it in me to get up and participate in the long run with Forerunners. Truly unfortunate, since the weather was flawless – clear, dry and cool. I slept late, woke up feeling morose and dejected, and ended up going back to bed and sleeping for a few more hours. Clearly, my body was trying to tell me something. My mood improved, especially after squeezing in another brief nap in the afternoon.

Naps are good.

My only nod to exercise was a walk to the shop to buy some treats to share at Sunday’s concert.

Weekly Wrap

Tim Tam – one of Australia’s best exports!

Sunday

I actually dreamed about running – getting out and joining one of my groups for a 16k. Although it was truly just a dream – I forced myself to commit to at least 5k or 30 minutes, whichever came first. In the end, they pretty much coincided.

Weekly Wrap

The afternoon was spent doing some last-minute rehearsing before our concert performance. The show itself went reasonably well – only ‘crashed and burned’ on one song, which we stopped and started again. Overall, though, pretty pleased.

Weekly Wrap Choir

Thanks to Susan for the photo!

Now, I’m home again in my pyjamas, glad that this week has finally come to an end. And believing that next week can only be better!

How do you manage THOSE weeks – the ones that just don’t go right?

WeeklyWrap

Don’t forget to stop by HoHo Runs and MissSippiPiddlin to join their Weekly Wrap, or visit others in the linkup!

Comments
  1. I sure hope you feel better! I love that you are in a choir. I love to sing, but I don’t have a pretty voice. I’m thinking that singing the OM at yoga counts as a choir?
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Loss and the runMy Profile

• bjcjapan says:

Thanks, Wendy. I don’t claim to have a great voice, but I blend in with the others and we have a good time. I think OM’ing totally counts! 🙂

2. Coco says:

I usually workout first thing so whatever else happens, that’s done. Sometimes travel plans do interfere, but I try not to let it get to me. Hope you’re feeling better.

3. Karen says:

Awww, I hope you are feeling better! Some times you just neeed to have a break and let your body do its magic. Never fun, but necessary.
    I am currently out injured, so right every week is one of THOSE weeks but it’ll get better eventually.

• bjcjapan says:

Sorry to hear about your injury, Karen. That’s frustrating. Thankfully, taking that time off seems to have paid off, and I’m always 100% again.

4. Sherry says:

Sorry to hear about a bad week! Hope you’re feeling better! Way to get out and run despite that! Great job in your choir too!
    Sherry recently posted…Last Week’s Workouts Recap and Weekly Wrap (1/18-1/24)My Profile

• bjcjapan says:

Everything has improved so much this week, thank you! Choir is now on break for a couple of weeks until our new season starts mid-February. 🙂

5. Kim Hatting says:

Gas, though week! We all have them…and things do improve as the new week begins, right? Kind of like bad races, there’s always something better to look forward to 😉
    Kim Hatting recently posted…Have you smiled lately? I have!My Profile

6. How do I deal with weeks like this? I just chalk it up and start fresh this week. Sounds like it wasn’t for lack of motivation, but sickness, something we really can’t help sometimes. I do hope you are having a better week and how neat your in a choir. I can’t sing a lick but I always admire those who can! Thanks Bradley for linking up with us! Take care of yourself.
    Tricia@MissSippiPiddlin.com recently posted…Weekly Wrap #25 Back in the Saddle AgainMy Profile

7. I hope you’re feeling better! Sometimes those weeks just happen and there’s nothing you can do about them. At least today is Monday and you can start fresh! I’m impressed you’re in a choir. I can’t sing to save my life – my voice is horrible – so I always admire people that do!

• bjcjapan says:

Thanks Phaedra – I’m very late to reply (it’s been a busy week), but your encouragement helped. I love singing in the choir, it’s just such a positive experience. Not that impressive, really, but fun and good people!

8. Brittany says:

Oh man, this winter has had MANY weeks that haven’t gone right for me. I try to just push through and know that each day is a new day! I am determined to try a Tim Tam slam one of these days…

• bjcjapan says:

Brittany you ALWAYS seem so positive, it means that I’m in good company having a rough week. Things have improved immensely, and I still have a few Tim Tams left!!

9. Emily Gercke says:

YEP. I hear you and I definitely feel your pain. Thanks for the anonymous shout out 🙂

10. We all have those weeks every once in awhile! So it can only get better, right? As a long time nursing home employee we thank you for singing, resident love those activities!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Does January still equal Optimism?My Profile

• bjcjapan says:

Thanks Mary Beth. I’m glad to hear that the singing at nursing homes is gladly received. My dad sings in a choir back home – it’s all seniors, and they sing only at senior/nursing homes. It’s a lovely little group!

11. Hope you are feeling better. It is never fun being sick and still having to take care of things that need done. I wasn’t feeling well last wk and I had to work and still teach my classes at the gym. …Yuck! Good job getting out there and at least doing a shor Run. I bet that felt good to just get out.